Posted on January 16, 2024
Remote/ Hybrid (EST preferred)
As a Technical Lead, you’ll be supporting and fostering a growing development team. You will be involved in meaningful meetings where you will advocate for your team as well as the company alike. You will mentor developers and help them to become the best that they can possibly be! You will also balance your time lending to technical solutions and conducting PRs - keeping close to the code. This role will require some hands-on experience and work, support and troubleshooting of incidents and issues as part of the team with oversight and team management as well.
You have strong people skills and an understanding of how to get the most out of the team.
You have a passion for not only programming, but inspiring and empowering others as well. You’re energetic and eager to bring your best ideas to the table. You have proven experience working with open source technology, and you love to both learn & teach new-bleeding edge technology.
You are always ready to roll-up your sleeves and dive into technical and architecture challenges, while helping your team make the right, forward-thinking decisions for our business stakeholders and the organization as a whole.
Skills & Qualifications:
We love open source, here are some of the tools and technologies we work with:
- Go / Node.js / TypeScript / Vue.js
- PostgreSQL / MySQL
- Infrastructure tools - Docker / Kubernetes, Jenkins / DroneCI
- Bitbucket, Confluence, JIRA, Slack
- Google Cloud Platform
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Linux / MacOS
- Providing support and mentorship to a team of developers
- Conducting regular one on one meetings with team members to ensure skill development plans are established to support ongoing growth
- Manage the performance of team members by setting goals and evaluating performance
- Work with our team to define high-level solutions to tech problems, provide technical architecture guidance and mentorship
- Perform some coding work, if needed, as per project requirements or based on the needs of the technical, support, or marketing teams
- Prepare documentation, workflows, charts and diagrams for use by users or staff
- Get involved when needed on escalations on your team - respond quickly to bugs which made it into production
- Participate in the scrum development process; conducting stand ups, sprint planning and grooming meetings
- Perform code reviews
- Help identify, recruit and onboard top engineering talent
- Collaborate with other cross-functional teams to deliver new features and capabilities
- Exceptional communications skills - verbal, written, and receptive
- 6+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience, managing teams of 8 or more engineers
- Proven experience of successfully managing and leading Agile teams
- Experience with architecture design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing , delivery and maintenance
- Knowledge of the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Results oriented person, ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with large scale systems or a SaaS platform is an asset
- Trust - you can’t have great teams without this.
- Casual and collaborative work environment that fosters continuous learning and growth
- We have a modern open concept office in the heart of uptown Waterloo, located near several great restaurants.
- In-office snacks
- Flexible working supported so whether you prefer to be at home or in the office you decide how to be most productive
- We focus on rewarding the team with social events, including quarterly company events.
Additional Perks included:
- RRSP Matching
- Christmas holiday Office shutdown
- Competitive Benefits, including access to virtual doctors
- Flexible work hours and ability to work from home
We’re full of bright and diverse thinkers. We are committed to supporting inclusion, diversity and accessibility to all employees. We understand and know that diverse teams are strong teams. We are proud to operate as an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the application process, please let us know and we will provide a positive experience!